Here are some simple ways to help improve your sales number and team performance:
- Getting Organised – Develop and write down your processes this will highlight bottle necks, streamline what you do and standardise the team activities.
- Know you customer – The more you know the better your chances of building a relationship and developing business together. Understanding what the customer wants or needs is critical.
- Know your competition – Just as it is important for you to know your customer, it is important for to know your competition. Understanding who you are competing against and their strengths and weaknesses will help to develop your sales strategy.
- Time Management – Time is money, manage your time to ensure you focus on what is important. Set goals for the week/day and ensure you assign time in your diary to hit them.
- Prospecting – Effective prospecting is key to improving sales. Mix up your lead generation sources, Cold calling, Networking, Web advertising, Social Media etc…
- Manage information – How are you capturing your customer information? The better you collect, manage, and utilize this information will have a direct impact on your success.
- Measure performance – This type of measurement unit is often referred to as a key performance indicator (KPI). The two key attributes of a KPI are quantifiability (i.e. you must be able to reduce it to a number) and that it directly captures a key business driver:
You might consider measuring:
– The proportion of sales accounted for by returning customers
– Outbound call activity
– The percentage of incoming calls answered within 30 seconds
- Interaction – Every Interaction is a knowledge transfer, are you getting the most out of every call, every email, and every meeting? This could be the difference when you try to increase your sales. You must communicate effectively, you may have the best product but you need to communicate how that will help your prospect improve their business.
- Stay Focused – A typical sales role is target driven, usually annually broken down into quarterly or monthly goals. To successfully achieve long term goals ie. increasing sales, you must stay focused day in and day out.
Tips for staying focused:
– Break down targets and set shorter term goals this can help make the goals seem more achievable.
– It is important that you know where you are at any point in time, this information will let you see what business you need to increase sales.
– Plan your day/week outlining when you will spend time on certain tasks, this will help you stay on track and focused.
- Continue to Develop knowledge – On what? – Products, Customers, Industry, Competition and Selling. Invest time to develop your knowledge Books, Blogs and Seminars are all good ways to do this, many are free. Are you investing in your staff? Review skill sets and implement training where required. Continuing to learn is a key to being able to increase your sales.